Friday, October 10, 2008

Another trip to the hospital

Luckily we didn't have to stay the night...total shocker! I had packed a bag and everything. Its kinda the norm in Germany. They seem to admit you for everything, especially babies. I had the flu when I was pregnant and got sick at my doc appointment, so they admitted me into the hospital which ended up being worse because the other thing about hospitals here is you get the luxury of roommates so I was in with an old lady that kept getting sick ALL NIGHT LONG. Anyway, just explaining why its not so fun to stay in hospitals here....
So Kenlee had a cold for over a week but it was starting to get better. Then a couple days ago her breathing started sounding bad. So I tried to get her in to our oh so wonderful clinic here on post that can't handle the patient load. We couldn't get her in so we tried for the next day. The doctor saw her and said he thought I should take her in to the hospital. He was worried that she might have injested something the way she was sounding. Sound familiar? So I went home, made arrangements for the kids, packed bags, got to the hospital and they said they think she has croupe. I didn't know they still diagnose that one. So they gave her a supository which I thought was kinda cool because I guess thats how they sometimes give children medicine because it gets in the blood system faster and begins working sooner. Jake confirmed that one when he shared the ever fun information that I will now pass on to you...he said "ya Mel thats the fastest way to hydrate someone too. They take a bag of fluids, stick the hose in your butt and stomp on the bag and that will get you hydrated way faster than through an IV". Awww, its so nice having a husband who knows these raw details. Aren't you glad I shared?
So the medicine didn't help as much as hoped but they said I could have her stay in the hospital but it wasn't a must. So we came home and although she doesn't sound much better, she's now starting to cough more so I'm hoping thats a good sign. Maybe the guck is breaking up and she's now able to get it out. None of this slows her down though. Thats a good thing. Still has all her energy and is her sweet smiling, into everything self! Another bright side...the kids were already enjoying their sleepover arrangements (no school on friday) so they wanted to stay and therefore Kenlee and I had the night and now half the day to ourselves. I have actually been able to cross some things off of my TO DO BEFORE JAKE COMES HOME list.

No comments: